How To Make The Leap From Full Time To FreelanceAn interview with Mitch Myers
Many of us struggle to make the transition and shift from agency or studio work to independent freelancer. In today’s conversation, we go in-depth on that first year of freelancing and all the mindset shifts that it requires.
Mitch Myers is a freelance motion designer who specializes in 3D. He talks to us about his transition from agency designer to freelancer, including the fears he had when making the decision to switch, how he researched and decided his pricing, and the mindset changes he had to make going from employee to entrepreneur.
Mitch offers insight into how he’s navigated the first year of freelancing, and how he plans to move forward with years two and three. We also discuss how he found his first clients starting out, as well as the details of a major project he was offered his first month freelancing. He also offers advice to designers considering making the leap into freelancing.
Are you thinking about taking the leap? Have you already done it? Let us know how Mitch’s interview resonated with you in the comments below!
In this episode
- Factors that can ultimately push you to decided to make the leap into freelancing
- How Mitch found his first clients at the beginning, and how he uses what he calls the “Cool Project Discount”
- The importance of niching yourself down versus being a “jack of all trades”
- His unique pricing structure and how he researched and established his pricing in the beginning
Join us on Patreon
This week we launched our brand new Patreon page.
By becoming a patron you can gain access to:
- Ask podcast guests questions
- Early access to the podcast
- Monthly Q&A’s with podcast guests and industry experts
- Exclusive Patreon community and bonus content
- +Big thanks
By becoming a patron you can help:
- Cover costs of producing the podcast
- Give us more time to create more resources for the Motion Hatch Community
- Make Motion Hatch the online hub for learning the business side of motion design
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Basically, this means that if you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. You can be sure that we would recommend these products whether or not we made any commission on them. Please don’t spend your money on them if you don’t think that they will truly help you improve your business, although, in our experience, they will.
Recent podcast episodes:
Nowadays it’s common for people to have more than one job or income stream. Having a side-hustle allows you to have more freedom and control in your career as it’s not your...
Disclaimer: This podcast is for general guidance only and discusses the legal position in the UK at the time of publication unless stated otherwise. You must take legal...
Do you use LinkedIn as a way to get direct clients? If you haven’t previously considered using this awesome platform, then this...
As a motion designer, it’s likely you have a lot of different skills. But knowing which projects to invest your time and energy in...