Episode 24:Jaime Lieberman
A legal crash course for motion designers
Jamie Lieberman is a founder and partner in the US-based law firm Hashtag-Legal. She specializes in working with creatives, content providers, and service professionals, many of whom work online. Jamie is an expert in copyright and trademark law and helps make sure her clients are informed and protected in these important areas.
As motion designers, there is a ton to consider when it comes to protecting intellectual property. We discuss how a lawyer can be essential in making sure everything is in order in regards to protecting your work. It’s important that we have good contracts that are very specific when it comes to who owns what is being created. Jamie speaks to the importance of creating a business, such as an LLC, to protect yourself as a professional and its importance for anyone in the creative fields.
How comfortable are you that your work and business is protected legally? Let me know if the comments below!
In this episode
- How lawyers can help motion designers with their businesses
- Forming an entity, such as an LLC, to protect yourself and your business
- What you need to consider if you’re starting your own studio or have employees
- The role of contracts in protecting yourself and lending your business legitimacy
- How to use your network to find the lawyer who is right for you
- What intellectual property is and how to think about it from a legal and business point of view
- What should be included in every contract you enter into
“If you’re generating income it’s important to form a business in order to protect your personal assets.” [9:45]
“Your lawyer should be a partner in your business, and that I cannot stress enough. So if you approach a lawyer and they feel scary to you, walk away, look for somebody new.” [18:28]
“Saying no to deals is not bad. It has to be the right deal. You can’t just take deals just because you’re getting deals, because you’ll end up resenting that client and it won’t make sense for you.” [29:09]
- The Freelance Contract Bundle is Live. Get all the info on it here.
- Motion Hatch Interview with Silvia Baumgart Part 1 and Part 2
- Shutterstock music library
The Freelance Contract Bundle
Professional contract templates made specifically for Motion Designers and Animators.
The Freelance Contract Bundle helps motion designers and animators protect themselves and their businesses via two professional contract templates: Freelance Terms of Service Contract for day rate/hourly projects in-house, and a Commissioning Contract for direct-to-client work.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Basically, this means that if you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. You can be sure that we would recommend these products whether or not we made any commission on them. Please don’t spend your money on them if you don’t think that they will truly help you improve your business, although, in our experience, they will.