Episode 23:Jorge Cabedo AKA JR.canest
How to find & grow community as a freelancer
Jorge Canedo also known as JR.canest is a freelance animator and creative director in Vancouver, Canada and the Founder of Wine After Coffee and Blend Festival, which I’m sure you have heard of! Before setting out on his own, Jorge worked for some big studios like Giant Ant and Buck. He has a lot of insight to share on making the transition from working for a company to doing it in your own and building his own studio. He also shares with us how and why he started Blend and Wine After Coffee. In this episode, we discuss how to work well with other people, a skill that is often overlooked in this industry. Jorge reminds us of why teamwork is an indispensable skill to practice, even if you spend most of your time working on your own. How do you build your professional relationships as a freelancer? Leave a comment and let us know!
In this episode
- The advantages of working with others
- Why you need to be an effective communicator as an animator
- How Jorge started a Festival and why it’s important to build communities
- Tips and tricks on managing your time when it comes to side-projects
- How to manage your work/life balance.
“It helps you grow immensely. When you’re freelancing, a lot of the times you’re on your own. I’ve found that the best way to grow is by having someone next to you, even if just to quickly glance at what you’re doing.” [8:44] “Communication is so big because you can be an incredible animator and have all the ideas in your head and be able to do it all, but that only goes so far if you can’t communicate that properly.” [13:52] “We need to be mindful that there’s a certain amount of good pressure to do good work and there’s a fine line between that and focussing more on work than on life.” [35:38]
- Find Jorge Online
- Follow Jorge on Twitter | Vimeo
- Wine After Coffee
- Blend Festival
- Giant Ant
- The Freelance Contract Bundle
Join us on Patreon
- Ask podcast guests questions
- Early access to the podcast
- Monthly Q&A's with podcast guests and industry experts
- Exclusive Patreon community and bonus content
- +Big thanks
By becoming a patron you can help:
- Cover costs of producing the podcast
- Give us more time to create more resources for the Motion Hatch Community
- Make Motion Hatch the online hub for learning the business side of motion design
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Basically, this means that if you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. You can be sure that we would recommend these products whether or not we made any commission on them. Please don’t spend your money on them if you don’t think that they will truly help you improve your business, although, in our experience, they will.