Are you a whiz at all things legal when it comes to your businesses? Are you a maverick when it comes to intellectual property and copyrights? Most of us as animators, illustrators and creatives aren’t, and that’s why we brought on our guest today, who breaks down the sometimes (ok, always) overwhelming world of law into small, easy to understand definitions and steps, specifically as they apply to the world of animation and illustration.
We dove right into the definitions of intellectual property, patents, copyrights, design rights, and trademarks, what to make sure you have in your contracts to best suit your wants and needs, and broke down the details on the sometimes vague area of accepting contracts versus counter offers and what actually sticks at the end of the day according to UK law. Silvia also spoke on the three different types of licenses that exist that dictates who can use the work you created and in what form which was very insightful and an absolute must listen for anyone in the creative fields.
Do you feel your contracts include everything that they should? How can you improve them? Leave a comment below!
In this episode
- The differences between patents, copyrights, design rights, and trademarks
- How do differentiate between working in house with an agency or working from home in terms of who owns the copyrights of the resulting work
- What to include in your contracts to avoid any issues with your client in the future
- Details on the when and how of agreeing to terms within a contract or offering a counter offer
- The biggest legal mistake creatives make when starting new projects
- The three different types of licenses that dictate who can use the work you created
- Original project files – should they be given or kept and how you can monetize them
- Why everyone should have their own terms and conditions that are standard for them
The Freelance Contract Bundle
To go alongside these episodes we have created a freelance template contract bundle designed specifically for motion designers and animators. This bundle includes a commissioning contract for animations and standard freelance terms and conditions.
Complete with easy to understand explanations for each section.
It helps you to protect your work and get paid on time and much more.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Basically, this means that if you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. You can be sure that we would recommend these products whether or not we made any commission on them. Please don’t spend your money on them if you don’t think that they will truly help you improve your business, although, in our experience, they will.