Making Money in Mograph Part 4An interview with Matthew Encina
For part four of the mini-series, Making Money in Mograph, we’re going to talk about how you can earn an income in a few non-conventional ways as a motion designer, using content creation. As a content creator you can put your skills to use to attract clients and even earn passive income.
Matthew Encina is the chief content officer at The Futur and creative director for Blind. He started off his creative career fifteen years ago as a print designer before transitioning into motion design. Since then he’s been heading up some amazing projects helping clients with their branding strategy through motion design and creating courses and content to help other people in the industry grow their profession.
In this interview, we discuss how we as motion designers can make content for our businesses and how that can help us stand out as an expert in this industry. Maybe it will even help you generate passive income one day. The key is identifying what makes you unique and relevant to a specific audience, then sharing what you can do in a way that appeals to them.
We also talk about building an audience through Instagram and how you can get started right away with Instagram Stories. Furthermore, we chat a bit about how and why to offer a presale and the importance of having a diversified income.
Do you use Instagram Stories to connect with your audience? Tell me about it in the comments!
In this episode
- What content marketing is and why we should care about it as motion designers
- How teaching what you do will help you become a master of your craft
- Identifying what makes you unique so that you can find the audience that’s perfect for you
- Using Instagram Stories to connect with an audience and show them the face behind your work
- How content creation can turn into passive income for freelance motion designers
- The advantages of offering a presale of a product in order to test out your ideas and make money right away
- A diversified income as an essential part of having financial security as a freelancer
“The reason why I feel that content is important is to establish yourself as an expert in the industry.” [7:05]
“So I don’t think that you should try to filter out ahead of time who the audience is and what exactly they want. What I would do is just focus on yourself – what makes you unique? What are things that you spent time and money to learn? Look at those things. Can you teach that to somebody else? Part of that teaching process is where you master your craft.” [13:26]
“It’s really important to embrace who you are, not trying to become vanilla and trying to find something new to say, because everything has already been said. Just share it the way that you want to say it or that you see it because your POV is the thing that’s really important.” [19:52]
“There’s so many cool people out there. I think if people were just more vulnerable and open about who they are, they might develop a stronger connection to the community around them and the people who resonate with them.” [25:58]
“I think it’s very important to diversify where you might be getting income from. So some of it could be passive; some of it could be opportunity based; some of it could be consulting.” [34:50]
- Find Matthew Encina online
- Follow Matthew on Instagram | Twitter | Linkedin | YouTube
- The Futur
- Follow The Futur on YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- The Win Without Pitching Manifesto by Blair Enns
- DotCom Secrets by Russell Brunson
- Handel Eugene
- Episode 31: Adam Plouff – Battleaxe – Making Money in Mograph Part 1
- Episode 32: Zack Lovatt – Technical Director – Making Money in Mograph Part 2
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves
Some of the links above are affiliate links. Basically, this means that if you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, we will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. You can be sure that we would recommend these products whether or not we made any commission on them. Please don’t spend your money on them if you don’t think that they will truly help you improve your business, although, in our experience, they will.
Recent podcast episodes:
Nowadays it’s common for people to have more than one job or income stream. Having a side-hustle allows you to have more freedom and control in your career as it’s not your...
Disclaimer: This podcast is for general guidance only and discusses the legal position in the UK at the time of publication unless stated otherwise. You must take legal...
Do you use LinkedIn as a way to get direct clients? If you haven’t previously considered using this awesome platform, then this...
As a motion designer, it’s likely you have a lot of different skills. But knowing which projects to invest your time and energy in...