As freelancers, we have to live with the fact that work often comes in waves. We might be really busy for stretches of the year and then face a lean month or two. Learning to predict and work through these cycles is a big factor in creating a successful freelance career.
Lilian Darmono is an Art Director who’s made a career spanning both the freelance and corporate worlds. In this, the first of a 2-part series, we dive deep into Art Direction, Graphic Design, and Animation. Lilian studied graphic design at University in Singapore, worked as a graphic designer in Australia before finding her niche in the world of art direction. We speak in depth about the path she took to become an art director, the importance of passion projects, the benefits of being a specialist vs a generalist. Plus, we get into the pro’s and con’s of climbing the corporate ladder and what it means to be an art director vs a creative director. How do you handle your downtime between projects or when the slow season hits? Are you a Jack (or Jill) of all trades or do you choose to specialize? Leave a comment below!
In this episode
- What is the distinguishing differences between Art Direction and Creative Direction?
- The benefits of both freelance and office work
- The pros and cons of climbing the corporate ladder
- How should you be spending your time when work is scarce?
- Some strategies to find work during slow seasons in your business
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Podcast music licensed by Big Waves